Thursday, April 30, 2009

Dandelion's.....Weed Plant Or Friend???

Well, we do have some WET weather ahead of us that is for sure! So what do we have in store for today?? Well, as I always say "Keep reading" lol :)

First off above is an image for the two fronts we will be tracking over today and Friday. You can see we will see the first front push through our area today bringing along some rain / Scattered thunderstorms with it. Now today I don't see much severe weather but more of (scattered thunderstorms possible) and WINDY at times. Right now it is looking like our main threats will be Heavy rain off and on, And Wind. Right now I think we see rainfall between a half inch and three quarters of an inch possible. and winds are looking between 20 and 25 mph with gusts possible to 30 maybe 35 mph at times. I think we will hold off the better chance for severe weather until (Late tonight into Friday).. So for now it is looking like Scattered thunderstorms with isolated severe of Friday. And I will keep you posted.....

Now I was out today doing some yard work for neighbors and I seen a LOT of the one plant most of us don't like very well.....Do you know what one I'M talking about?? You guessed it! The Dandelion's LOL :) Now just looking at them in this picture they look kinda nice! Don't you think? But when in our nice green yard they look (Yuck!) But really there not all bad! First off here are a few tips I found out about Dandelion's and this is a good question. Weed Plant Or Friend??? :\ Hmmmmmmm.....

Weed Plant Or Friend?Dandelion is a good example of a Weed Plant that you can go after in the fall. It is much easier to attack the deep-rooted weed in a lawn made wet by the rain and overnight dew. If you wait until spring, it becomes much trickier to get to the weed without hurting your lawn, too.

Dandelions are especially infuriating to lawn care experts because the plant is usually the first to season in the Spring. Dandelions then quickly horde water and nutrients, while absorbing spring sunshine with broad, porous leaves. These may make nice lettuce like vegetables for some, but they steal nutrients from your lawn.

Dandelions Means Lawn Needs Attention As with all weeds, a surfeit of dandelions simply means that the lawn itself needs attention. The big rooted plant makes its home on your lawn when grass roots are most likely skimpy and weak. The solution is to not only attend to your grass, but to also focus on the soil. For healthy soil, spread an inch of mature compost evenly over the lawn and let the autumn rains wash it down to the roots over the winter. This is best achieved by dumping the compost out from a wheelbarrow into several piles and then raking it around evenly on the lawn.
-------------------------------------------------

Now after looking at that above I came across this recipe for Dandelion Salad. Now I have NEVER tried this and I'M not sure I would?!?! I'M not saying it is bad because I'M sure its not but I would feel a little odd eating a plant that has always been a weed plant to me all my life! Here is the recipe I have posted below if any of you would like to try it?!?! And if any of you already have please feel free to post all about it in the comments at the bottom of this post! I would love to know what you Bloggers think!!!!! ;)

Dandelion Salad
INGREDIENTS
1/2 pound torn dandelion greens
1/2 red onion, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
salt and pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, toss together dandelion greens, red onion, and tomatoes. Season with basil, salt, and pepper.


Have a good one Bloggers! I will check back in soon.....

2 comments:

Richard said...

Keep up the good work and perhaps Chad will give you some money on the side so he can go home early. Just kidding!! Keep up the good work and keep the rain away!!!

Brow said...

Dandelion Salad?! ICK!